Tuesday, May 22, 2012

From Vancouver Sun: Tradeswomen getting it done


But the same can't be said of GVHBA president

 
 I am a useless husband. Just ask my long-suffering wife, the lovely Carolyn.

There are seven power tools nestled in our garage. Five of them sit unopened in their original packaging.

The compressor and nail gun combo Carolyn bought me for Christmas many years ago still has the bow on the box.

Another is a circular saw, opened and used once. Problem is, the one time it was used was when a friend tried to show me how to safely operate it and promptly nicked his finger. Back in the box, quickly.

Grinder, orbital sander, reciprocal saw, drill. All in their sealed cartons, all with expired warranties.

One would think the CEO of a prominent home builders' association would be one of the handiest guys around, what with all the rubbing-elbows contact I have with builders, renovators and tradespeople. Well, I am not handy. Not at all.

I mean, really, does the president of the Canadian Medical Association know how to save lives? Geez, come to think of it, I believe he does know how to save lives, so bad example.

Anyway, a couple years ago I tried using a mitre saw to cut a piece of baseboard trim. I had to adjust a thingamajig gizmo to set the angle of the cut. What a frustrating experience that turned out to be.

I cut the trim, cursed, then placed the two miscut halves gently on the work table. I cut a second piece, cursed louder, then tossed those two pieces, javelin-like, into the far reaches of the garage. I pulled the plug on the @%#*&$! saw and walked calmly into the house. Carolyn, as is her wont, just shook her head and wandered off into another room, where I could still hear her laughing.

I told HGTV celebrity contractor Bryan Baeumler that story at the home show last fall. He also laughed, but didn't offer a shred of constructive advice. I think he was probably laughing at me, not with me.

A while back, the association's Renovation Council members built a wheel-chair ramp for a mom and her adult daughter, both of whom had mobility challenges. My wife and I showed up to help. The guys assigned a task to Carolyn, but they told me to "just stand over there and don't get in the way."

Then there was the time we bought a new door lock, which I was sup-posed to install. I couldn't even get the darned thing out of the hard-plastic packaging. While I was looking for the heavy-duty scissors, I passed by the living room and, lo and behold, a hockey game was on the tube. Between periods, I resumed my scissor search only to find that Carolyn had finished installing the door lock.

I shouldn't have been surprised, given that my wife is the daughter of a university engineering professor, but it is somewhat worrisome that she now has the ability to change door locks in a flash.

When it comes to handy women, it appears my wife has lots of company. I met plumber Anne Fraser at the Vancouver Home and Design Show in September 2010. She had just launched Princess Plumbing and was exploring what more she could do to promote her business.

We chatted, then she handed me a brochure outlining her company's services. It was bold and to the point. "Princess Plumbing will provide fast, honest and reliable service in a non-intimidating manner, and at a price agreed upon - with no surprises."

Fraser also exhibited a sense of humour. Her brochure cheekily claimed: "You won't see your typical plumber's butt sticking out from under your sink." No photographic proof accompanied the claim.

In 2005, Fraser was a single mom delivering parts for an autobody company and living paycheque to pay-cheque. She realized her son was only going to cost more as he grew and she needed a steady career from which she could earn a decent living to support her family.

"Plumbing interested me, but I realized no company would hire me with-out experience, so I went on a waiting list at BCIT. After nearly a year, I was accepted. Six months later, I got a job with a small plumbing company doing service calls. The owner suggested I join the plumbers' union, where I could qualify for training and the resources I needed to complete my apprenticeship," Fraser said.

Fraser took a big chance starting her own company in March 2010, following on the heels of the 2009 downturn in the residential construction industry. But everything seems to be working out.
"It's only been two years, but I now have repeat clients, including women homeowners who feel comfortable having me work in the house. But most of my work comes from con-tractors in the renovation business," Fraser said. "I have a lot of tenacity, confidence and pride in my work. If I can't back up what I say I can do, I won't get more work from those contractors.

"I also have my gas-fitter ticket now, so I am able to expand my ser-vices to include the installation of on-demand hot-water heaters and rough-ins for gas appliances. I just finished a kitchen renovation that I am pleased with, but my greatest satisfaction is supporting my family on my own," Fraser said.

"And I am very happy that my entire family is proud of me."

Jessica Walsh-Garido is a 29-year-old married mom. She is also a skilled Red Seal carpenter.

"I have always loved working with my hands and fixing things. My step-dad, a carpenter, encouraged me to try out carpentry for a summer when I was 19," Walsh-Garido said. "At the beginning of my apprenticeship, I was given a laborious, dirty job and I loved it. I did scaffolding, including setting up the spectator stands for the Indy race in Vancouver. I got a suntan and I got in shape."

For a few years, Walsh-Garido worked on home renovation for award-winning contractors Mark and Miles Wittig of Basil Restoration. "I was exposed to all aspects of carpentry from formwork to framing to finishing. I also learned how to fix problems that someone else had created. It was an amazing way to go through my apprenticeship."

Now pursuing her joinery credentials, Walsh-Garido is working for Acorn Wood Designs, producing precision architectural millwork for builders, hotels, restaurants, etc. She said power tools have become an extension of her arms, and that she strives to constantly improve her skills.

Walsh-Garido's skills have also been put to good use around her family home. "Following the birth of our son, my husband and I bought a poorly maintained, postwar bungalow. Part of the basement was crumbling so we dug it out and constructed retaining walls. We then demolished a section of the house that was added in the 1970s. I built a small kitchen addition, providing an eating area, and a roof-top deck. It all made our home more livable," said Walsh-Garido.

"We went through the design and permitting process while I was on maternity leave. When we first met with the inspectors they wanted to speak with my husband, but when they realized I was the one actually doing the work, and that I had the answers to their questions, it went smoothly," she said.

"While I am busy renovating, my husband takes our son to the park. His renovation skills have improved and I am proud we can share the load when it comes to renovating our home, managing the household and taking care of our son. Soon we'll have more time to have fun together."
Walsh-Garido believes her skills stack up favourably against any other carpenter. "I don't walk away from a job until it looks the way I need it to look, and that it functions the way I need it to function. I have confidence in my skills, and I take pride and satisfaction in my workmanship."

Fraser and Walsh-Garido have inspired me to tear open the packaging protecting my power tools, plug 'em in, then rev 'em up. Well, almost. A wise antiquities dealer (Pawn Stars) said collectibles are worth much more if they are left undisturbed in their original packaging.

What a conundrum I face.

Peter Simpson is the president and chief executive officer of the Greater Vancouver Home Builders' Association. Email peter@gvhba.org
more:http://www.vancouversun.com/Tradeswomen+getting+done/6649684/story.html#ixzz1vc69U2PW


Retrieved from: http://www.vancouversun.com/Tradeswomen+getting+done/6649684/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment